AFA NEW YORK
View AFA Offices in a larger map
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF OUR HISTORY
PROGRAMS OF AID FOR AIDS NEW YORK
CASE MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
AFA’s Case Management Program is more commonly known as the New York Immigrant AIDS Link (NYIAL) Program. NYIAL understands the difficulties immigrants encounter in adjusting to a new environment, language, and culture, especially when dealing with health issues such as HIV and AIDS. The NYIAL Program helps individuals cope with all of these issues in a confidential and non-judgmental environment, where they are able to receive the support necessary to overcome these barriers. The model of the program is designed to help immigrants with HIV or AIDS aquire supportive and social services in order to improve their overall quality of life.
How do I enroll in NYIAL?
Any immigrant, regardless of legal status, with HIV or AIDS and residing in the New York Metropolitan Area may join NYIAL. Applications to the NYIAL Program are handled by a specialized case management team. To learn more about how to enroll call us at (212) 337-8043, or email Dario Jimenez email@example.com or Jonathan Capote Jcapote@aidforaids.org. Applications are available in English and Spanish.
OUTREACH AND HIV TESTING PROGRAM
AID FOR AIDS New York is also actively involved in community outreach and HIV testing and prevention with immigrants, since they are at higher risk than other populations of acquiring HIV. Focused on the Latino community in New York, our Outreach and HIV Testing Program provides the necessary information about HIV and AIDS, preventive methods, and HIV Testing. Outreach activities, including free and confidential HIV testing on and off-site, are conducted throughout the year in partnership with local organizations and Latin American consulates in New York. In addition, AFA is committed to educating and training individuals to become peer educators in order to conduct HIV testing and prevention in their communities.
- NYIAL served over 500 immigrants, 160 of which were new clients
- Since the beginning of the program, 8,000 clients have received assistance, which includes case management, individual counseling, education, testing, free legal clinics, financial management workshops and referrals to a wide range of social services
- 43 clients were provided with new housing with AFA’s assistance
- 95% of clients had an undetectable viral load after counseling and treatment education
- 3,500 HIV tests have been administered by AFA since 2009
- 741 HIV tests in 2013, alone, were administered
- About 1,000 individuals each month learned preventative information and facts about HIV
- We are proud to report that AFA became certified to conduct HEP-C testing this year, adding to our existing testing capabilities, which include initial and confirmatory HIV testing
- NYIAL served 453 immigrants, 159 of which were new clients.
- We made 538 referrals, connecting clients to medical care, housing services, legal support, mental, dental, and other services.
- 52 individuals were placed in new housing last year; 85 individuals retained housing as a result of assistance from AFA New York
- Because of our adherence counseling and treatment education, 95% of our clients have an undetectable viral load
- In 2012 we were able to start HIV testing in Chelsea, an area of New York with the highest HIV prevalence, through the Community, A Walgreens Pharmacy (formerly Bioscrip) location
- Throughout the year we performed nearly 830 HIV tests and 1,200 people received primary prevention information
- Also last year, we are proud to report that we became certified to do confirmatory HIV testing along with initial testing, allowing us to expedite the process of connecting clients to care
- The Legal Aid Society
- Sustainable Living Fund (SLF) / G.M.H.C
- RIF Asylum Center
- Hispanic Aids Forum (HAF)
- Counseling Family Center (COAC)
- Human Resource Administration (HASA)
- Housing Works
- Betances Health Center
- Elm drugs
- Community, A Walgreens Pharmacy
- Super Farmacia Unica
- Prime Aid Pharmacy
- Consulado de Mexico
- Consulado de Colombia
- New York City Health Department
- Robin Hood Foundation
- Calvin Klein Family Foundation
- TJX Foundation, Inc.
TO MAKE A DONATION IN NEW YORK
New York, NY 10013 Make checks payable to: AID FOR AIDS International