Who We Are:
AID FOR AIDS is an international nonprofit organization that helps people affected by HIV all over the world, with a special focus on Latin America and the Caribbean. We run the world’s largest HIV Medicine Recycling Program, as well as educational, empowerment and anti-stigma programs, and here in NYC we provide a full range of social services to immigrants with HIV.
Join Team AFA and ride 40 traffic-free miles through all 5 NYC boroughs, while helping to raise funds and awareness for our cause. The funds raised will help people all over the world, as we distribute medication in over 40 countries, as well as reaching over 100,000 youth a year with our educational and empowerment programs.
If you become part of AFA’s team, you will:
• Have a guaranteed slot in the bike tour (which sells out in a matter of hours)
• Have your own fundraising page to customize and share, keep track of your efforts and make sure you spread the word and get everyone you want involved so you can hit your fundraising goals
• Have the chance to ride through the entire city on streets free of cars, during a once a year event.
• Be able to experience all five boroughs, as well as ride by and through some of the city’s most cherished spots and famous landmarks: the Brooklyn, Queensboro and Verazano bridges, and the Empire State Building. And of course, no NYC bike ride would be complete without going through Central Park.
• Get to know the city in a whole new way, with a whole bunch of new friends. And all for a great cause!
Join the team, and start getting ready for this fantastic event. Get on your bike and start training, and soon you can get online and start fundraising!
The registration deadline is Friday, April 10, 2015.
The fundraising minimum for this event is $1,000
But don’t let this intimidate you and keep you from what will certainly be a fantastic experience! We’ll be here to help, support and guide you at every turn.
To make sure you hit your goal we will provide:
• Text and templates to share by e-mail and on social media, making sure you have the benefit of our entire Development team’s experience
• Help to keep you on track with a fundraising calendar and by making sure that this feels like a team effort!
• Help setting up your page and figuring out how to reach the people you want
Join now, and don’t miss out!
More about AID FOR AIDS:
Our Medicine Recycling Program: we take medication that would otherwise be discarded and after quality control and sorting, we send it to people all over the world who need the medication but can’t afford it.
Our workshops and educational programs: we educate and empower communities, providing health information, and helping to remove the stigma and prejudice attached to HIV as well as teaching life skills that allow them to become leaders and bring about positive change. In the countries where we work, we also advocate for the rights and needs of people affected with HIV by appealing to and monitoring local and national government programs.
In NYC: We provide counseling and guidance as well as connect immigrants with HIV with any service they might need outside of what we provide, such as legal and medical services. We organize workshops to help immigrants navigate their new lives, as well as help them deal with their HIV status.